Australian Citizenship and Permanent Residency information

LEGAL HOTLINE: 1300 636 846, 7am to Midnight, 7 days
Get a Good Lawyer. Fast.

If you have obtained a visa to work or study in Australia, you may be considering calling Australia your home indefinitely. To do so you will have to first apply for permanent residency. Once this is granted there are no restrictions to the length of your stay, and you will also have access to all the services and benefits of other Australians.

You may then also want to consider applying for citizenship. Citizenship in Australia does not require you to give up citizenship of your birth country, as in some situations you can hold dual citizenship. However, your birth country may require that you surrender your citizenship rights in that country.

A permanent resident has many of the same rights as a citizen but there are differences. Citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia, but permanent residents do not and must have a valid travel authority. Citizens have a right to vote, whereas permanent residents do not.

Find out about permanent residency and citizenship here:

Get a Good Lawyer. Fast.
LEGAL HOTLINE: 1300 636 846, 7am to Midnight, 7 days

Criminal Law:
Family Law:
Civil Law:
Drink Driving:
Traffic Law:

Here’s why people select Go To Court Lawyers:
* Guaranteed availability
* Simple, upfront rates – no hidden costs
* Experienced lawyers with solid track record
* Expert advice and strong representation


Go To Court Lawyers