Immigration Process for Doctors

Immigration Process for Doctors

California Immigration Lawyer
Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose and Santa Clara
[email protected]

Physicians from other countries have three main paths to become citizens of the United States:

1. If you are a physician in the residency program on a J1 visa, you need to apply for a J1 waiver. Next, you would apply for an H1B visa, and then permanent residency. After 3 years of permanent residency if married to a U.S. citizen or after 5 years of permanent residency if applying for a green card through employment-based immigration processes, then you can apply for citizenship.

2. If you are a physician in a residency program on a J1 visa but you would like to temporarily bypass the 2-year home residency requirement, you may instead apply for an O1 visa. Eventually, you will still need to get a J1 waiver, and continue your immigration process with permanent residency and eventually citizenship.

3. If you participate in H1B residency, you can then file an H1B change of employer after you’ve completed your professional residency, and then you can become a permanent resident and eventually a U.S. citizen.

This video is for educational purposes only, and is not intended as legal advice. For more educational videos from Ranchod Law, subscribe to our channel or visit our website,

If you have any legal questions, we encourage you to pick up the phone and call us at (916) 613-3553, or to email us at [email protected] and you can schedule a consultation. We meet with new clients every day, and we have different in-office staff members who can translate into Spanish and several other languages. Our passion is for helping people involved in the immigration process, and our law firm knows the ins and outs of every aspect of immigration.

The Ranchod Law Group
8880 Cal Center Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95826