The Process of Student Visa (Subclass 500) – DMS Debika Migration Services
If you are planning to study in Australia as an overseas student, you must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500).
This Australian student visa will enable you to live in Australia and study a full-time course in the country.
The Length of Student Visa
You can avail a student visa for up to 5 years depending on your study course.
Requirements for Student Visa
International students who wish to apply for an Australian student visa must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a study course which is CRICOS registered or high school or primary school program.
- You must be granted a confirmation of enrolment or COE from the course provider, which you intend to study. You must offer the COE with the Student visa application. An offer letter is not acceptable.
- If you had applied for more than one course such as a Bachelor’s degree and a foundation studies, you must offer all Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) in the student visa application.
Importance of Meeting the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria for the Student Visa
GTE or Genuine Temporary Entrant criteria are one of the important criteria that you need to satisfy for the Student visa. This is applicable to all the student visa applicants.
As an applicant, you need to show that you are a genuine student who wishes to complete the studies in Australia and usually, will return home when your study is completed.
The GTE criteria are an important integrity measure for the department. It allows them to measure the intention of international students to study in Australia and not merely using it as a pathway to remain in the country.
The Department analyzes a number of factors when analyzing whether or not an applicant meets the criterion of GTE. Ministerial Direction 60 establishes factors that are taken into consideration and include:
- Situations in the country of residence or home country
- Value of the course to the future of applicant
- Potential circumstances in the country
- The history of applicant’s immigrant
- If in case the applicant is a minor
Requirements of English Language for the Student Visa
You have to offer proof that you have met the requirements for the English language for the Student visa. You need to have the following English test score as follow:
- IELTS – The minimum test score is 5.5, the minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS is 5, and the minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS is 4.5.
- TOEFL iBT – The minimum test score is 46, the minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS is 35, and minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS is 32.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) – The minimum test score is 162, the minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS is 154, and the minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS is 147.
- PTE – The minimum test score is 42, the minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS is 36, and the minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS is 30.
- OET – The minimum test score is ‘B’ for each test component.
You may exempt from the test for the English language is:
- You are a citizen and hold a passport from USA, UK, Republic of Ireland or NZ.
- You have studied in a certain kind of course.
- You have previously studied the English language for a certain time period and in a specific country or in Australia.
Financial Requirements for the Student Visa
You will need to offer evidence that you have the financial capacity to support yourself or any dependent, pay for the course and pay for school dependent tuition fees.
You only have to present the evidence of financial capacity for the initial 12 months.
You will have to demonstrate that you need to access this fund while you are in the country.
You Must Offer any one of the Following Proof of Funds for the Student Visa Subclass 500
- Proof for 12 months funds – You have to offer evidence of funds to cover the travel cost to Australia, course, and funds to support tuition fee for school-aged dependents as well as your accompanying family members. A precise calculation is needed.
The minimum funds that you need for living costs from 1 February 2018 are for child AUD3, 040, spouse or partnerAUD7, 100, and guardian or student AUD20, 290.
For the course, you need to provide proof of funds for at least 12 months.
In addition to this, you need to provide proof of funds of a minimum of AUD 8,000 per year for each child.
- Furthermore, you need to provide evidence that you will be able to meet the annual income requirements. In this concern, the personal annual income must be at least AUD 60,000 and AUD 70,000 if you accompany family members.
- Secondary Exchange student offers an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students or AASES form.
- Defense Students or Foreign Affairs – To offer a letter of support from the Department of Defense and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Health Insurance for the Student Visa
You and your accompanying family members must maintain proper health insurance while you are in the country on your student visa. All the students must accompany family members must have international student health cover or OSHC for the duration of your student visa. It must cover both medical and hospital insurance in Australia.
Character Requirements for the Student Visa
You and your accompanying family members must also meet the character requirements for the Student visa to be granted.
Australian Student Visa Guidelines
Being an overseas student, you need to meet the following guidelines:
- You must comply with your entire student visa conditions.
- You must maintain adequate OSHC for the time of your student visa.
- You must update your education provider if you alter the contact details or address.
- You must maintain your attendance as well as the satisfactory progress of the course.
The Working Rights for International Student Visa Holders and Dependents
- The main applicant (or student) who has started a coursework degree has the right to work 40 hours per fortnight with course in session and unlimited hours with course out of session.
- The main applicant (or student) who has begun a Research Degree has the right to work unlimited hours for the course in session and course out of session.
- The dependents of primary student visa holder enrolled in a Doctorate or Master degree has the right to work for unlimited hours with a course in session and with course out of session.
- The defense students or AusAwards are allowed to work 40 hours per fortnight with a course in session and unlimited hours with course out of session.
Why You Must Consult Debika Migration Services?
While your education consultant can help you find the perfect courses and institution that meets your needs and circumstances, our expert agents can represent you at the Department of Home Affairs and apply for the student visa!
We can make your student journey easier and your visa application a stress-free process.
We offer realistic and professional suggestions, in line with your requirements and migration goals. We will offer assistance in helping you find the right course and writing submission to satisfy the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria.