Holiday Travel Reminder | AMVL Migrations

Are you a visa holder living and working in Australia? Thinking of travelling overseas for the holidays? Just like Mr Claus, you need to make a travel list and check it twice before you go!


  1. Do you have the right visa to travel? If you are on a Bridging Visa A while awaiting a decision on your visa application, you must apply for a Bridging Visa B with travel rights and this should be done a week or two before you intend to travel.

  2. When does your visa expire? Check that there is plenty of time left on your current visa to ensure that you can travel back to Australia. Permanent Residents still need a visa to travel, so check that this is still valid or if you need to apply for a Resident Return Visa.

  3. When does your passport expire? Some airlines require passports with at least 6 months validity before they will let you travel. If your passport is due to expire soon, check with the airline and then contact your local Embassy or Consulate about urgent passport renewal.

  4. Have you renewed your passport recently? Visas are linked electronically to your passport, so if the passport changes you must update the Department of Immigration to ensure your records are correct.

  5. Are you a temporary visa holder with a child born in Australia? You must contact the Department of Immigration and provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate and passport so the child can be added to your visa. If you don’t, your child will not have a visa to re-enter Australia.


AMVL clients are welcome to contact their Migration Agent for assistance with Bridging Visas or updating their records. You can also update records through ImmiAccount or take a look at the Department of Immigration’s website for details on how to contact them and update your records directly.


Safe travels!


AMVL Migrations