The working holiday visa – get a taste of Australia | AMVL Migrations

Have you been watching the Commonwealth Games on TV and wishing you could see the beautiful Australian landscape for yourself? We may just have the solution for you! The Working Holiday Maker (Subclass 417) or Work & Holiday Maker visa (Subclass 462) are available to passport holders from selected countries involved in the Working Holiday Program, who are between the ages 18 and 31 and are a genuine visitor to Australia.


What exactly is a working holiday visa (WHV) you may ask? A WHV allows the holder to stay in Australia for up to 12 months, working for any single employer for a maximum of 6 months. Provided you complete at least 3 months of specified work – including picking fruits and vegetables, caring for animals, farming animals, mining work and construction (417 & 462) or hospitality and tourism in northern Australia (462 only) – you can apply to stay for a further year on a second working holiday visa.


The working holiday visa is an excellent way to see all that Australia has to offer, as the specified work must take place in a regional area (read this blog to find out more about how great regional Australia is).


The countries that are currently involved in the working holiday program are:


These lists are constantly being updated, so head over to the Department’s website to keep up to date with the current list. 


There are special requirements for 462 visa applicants, including achieving a certain level of education and functional English.


So if you are dreaming of spending a bit of time in Australia but don’t want to spend a lot of time or money getting here, this is a great option for you!



 Get in, we’re going to Australia!